The Games and Playable Media MS and the Serious Games MS at UC Santa Cruz are selective, professional, five quarter degree programs for students who come from a variety of backgrounds – already have a solid grounding in computer programming and experience in game development and those who have little experience with computer programming.
We are open to self-taught, industry trained, and formally educated programmers and game developers. Experience with a wide range of game types and platforms is valued, though experience with independent and art games is particularly strong preparation for the program.
Because this is a cohort-based program, students can only begin the program in the Fall quarter. The best way to stay up to date with us is by following us on Twitter or liking us on Facebook.
Students are required to submit the following:
- Online Application
- Statement of Purpose*: Personal statement of who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, your professional interests, and where you plan to go from there
- Personal History Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Link to Electronic Portfolio
- General GRE Scores: Submission of scores is optional
- English Proficiency: If English is not your native language, you are required to submit official results of the TOEFL or IELTS. You may request to waive this requirement if you have a Bachelors degree from a higher institution in the US.
Detailed information regarding these requirements and the application process can be found at https://grad.soe.ucsc.edu/admissions
Please also see the Admissions FAQ for the UCSC Baskin School of Engineering, which manages admissions for the program: https://grad.soe.ucsc.edu/admissions
*If you are applying for the Serious Games program, please add a note in your Statement of Purpose that you hope to attend the Serious Games program.
Cost of Attendance
Cost per Quarter