The Games and Playable Media MS at UC Santa Cruz is a selective, professional, five quarter degree program for students who already have a solid grounding in computer programming and experience in game development.
We are open to self taught, industry trained, and formally educated programmers and game developers. Experience with a wide range of game types and platforms is valued, though experience with independent and art games is particularly strong preparation for the program.
Because this is a cohort-based program, students can only begin the program in the Fall quarter. The application deadline for 2018-20 has passed, but please check back in soon. The best way to stay up to date with us, is by following us on Twitter or liking us on Facebook.
Students are required to submit the following:
- Online Application
- Statement of Purpose*: Personal statement of who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, your professional interests, and where you plan to go from there
- Personal History Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Link to Electronic Portfolio
- General GRE Scores: Submission of scores is optional
- English Proficiency: If English is not your native language, you are required to submit official results of the TOEFL or IELTS
Detailed information regarding these requirements and the application process can be found at https://grad.soe.ucsc.edu/admissions
Please also see the Admissions FAQ for the UCSC Baskin School of Engineering, which manages admissions for the program: https://grad.soe.ucsc.edu/admissions
*If you are applying for the Serious Games program, please add a note in your Statement of Purpose that you hope to attend the SG program.
Cost of Attendance*
Cost per Quarter
*Cost of Attendance is pending UC Regents’ approval